Pageviews past week

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Skis reviews at Cold Thistle?



The way Cold Thistle started was me going on the hunt for a decent down jacket.  I learned a few things in the process.  Mostly what I wanted, wasn't want most people bought. 

Skiing has been important in my life off and on.  Not really all that important now but I still don't want what most people buy.  A lot of reasons for that and likely not all of them good or relevant to you.  But I am finding some issues I might consider serious flaws, if only I knew more about the subject.  So what you'll get is some opinion.  Not all based in fact,  just my experience. 

Not the first time I have gotten to this point, when what I would have thought were reliable resources I have been reading on the Internet come up with totally difference conclusions than I do.

But no matter :-)  I'll be writing some ski reviews shortly.  Boots and bindings as well at some point.

Here is a teaser as to what skis you will have a chance to read in depth reviews on.






A quick shot of what will be reviewed should look like this:
Black Diamond
Aspect

La Sportiva
Lo5
Hi5
GTR

More on La sportiva skis..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fbinjGpIvI

Dynafit
SevenSummit
Broad Peak
Huascaran @177cm and 196cm

more here on the Huascaran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Bf35O81GU


DPS
Wailer 99 Pure
Wailer 112 RP Pure
Wailer 112 RPC Pure
Lotus 138,  Pure, 3.2 rocker version

more here on the 112s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq2VAjV8bJo


Rossi Series for 2013/14
Soul 7
Squad 7
Super 7

More here on the 7s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA4OM4Wzbyo

3 comments:

John said...

Holy tech bindings. A reason you don't use inserts and swap bindings back and forth? Given it is kind of a PITA but so is buying things.

Dane said...

I'm pretty rough on my gear so not a big fan of the inserts. Mostly becasue I don't seem to find the time to do the conversions myself.

I also try to keep it under 6 pair of skis at a time...one more pair and I'll be doing inserts.

John said...

Fair enough. I think over on TGR the prevailing theory is that they have a greater pullout strength than your normal binding screw. I just bought the install kit and it's been really smooth so far but I'm reusing holes that already work. Only issue for me is that I have a set of Verticals so have to screw around with adjusting the heel spacing as I swap from one setup to another. Also having brakes makes it more difficult to remove and replace the screws.