Pageviews past week

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

Thursday, December 16, 2010

You either get it or you don't...

As December rolls by I have the urge to get back out on some ice, snow and into the alpine. But it hasn't always been that way. At one point I stopped alpine and ice climbing because so many friends had died doing it. I just didn't have the metal strength to continue in the game.

Too many good friends and relationships were gone like dry wood in a bonfire.
I turned to warm stone to keep my passion alive. And while I have almost none of those physical skills remaining today the mental strength gathered on hard rock now allows me to go back into the alpine or back to work in my shop on those off days when I would really prefer not to.

Tsunami, 5.11b R/X

But it has taken years and a lot of additional support to be where I am at now and be comfortable in my own skin.

Some of us go climbing to find out just how strong we are. And it generally has little to do with how many pull ups you can manage.

Rock climbing is a previous gift that now allows me to climb again in the alpine. But any form of climbing, work or sport can be your path.  Any activity where you choose to test yourself, checkers or may be just getting out of bed can be more than enough.

Hard rock climbing really has little to do physically with winter alpine climbing. But you either get the idea and style behind climbs like the B-Y and Tsunami or you don't.  

The video is great. Enjoy!




The Bachar Yerian 5.11c R/X from cole gibson on Vimeo.

No comments: