Pageviews past week

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

Monday, December 20, 2010

Mtn Hardware Minus One Glove

This is a retread from last month that got buried so I thought it worth an update after I got more climbing use out of the glove.




I like a couple of glove manufacturers products. But I have to say I have been really impressed with the most recent OutDry products from Mtn Hardware. (and now the same technology is in the Scarpa boots) The newest glove I have been using is the Minus One..which is a thin, technical glove intended for leashless climbing and dry tooling in moderate temps.

It is a perfect fit for those uses.

It is not climbing but the temps dropped here to -10C over night and I had a bunch of outdoor household chores to take care of as we got several inches at snow and the temps continued to drop. This glove was good enough to use hand tools with and get everything done outside before our pipes could freeze up.

Last weekend I used the same glove on water ice with a good bit of free running water. I intentionally stuck my hands in the fire hydrant size spout of ice water on one climb to see just how water proof the OutDry system was. ( I had dry gloves in my pack and it was an easy day out)  These guys really are water proof. Although depending on the glove it may take some time to actually dry the leather out on the exposed side of the glove. I have since water proofed the leather as well on my Minus Ones. You'll still stay warm and dry either way. But no question the wet leather would freeze if it was cold enough.

Newest ones don't have a palm reinforcement that is pictures in the stock photo below but the thinner palm is awesome on a tight Nomic or Ergo handle. I wouldn't want to do a lot of rappelling in them though as it would get expensive quickly I suspect.

I've since used the Minus one in -20C temps on dry ice and a couple of rappels over a weekend and been satisfied.  Then out with them again as my only glove (forgot my spares and approach gloves) in temps from 0C to -15C with everything from running water to a full on wet snow storm while wallowing in crotch deep trail breaking.  The kind of day every thing gets wet.

Ten full days of climbing, rapping and belaying on these.  I am impressed so far.
Best to save these guys for climbing.  Knee deep wallowing will get anything wet, the Minus One being no exception.  They will handle your sweaty hands and generally stay dry inside but they can be easily over loaded if you allow snow in from the outside.   But they did dry over night internally.  The leather palm soaks up water pretty quickly even after being treated but it generally dried fully over night.  I have 10 days of climbing on this pare and am happy they are holding up much better than expected so far.  They  have kept my hands warm even on the chilly days -10C.  Much warmer that expected for their weight.

Down side besides price?  The rubber strap and velcro closure at the wrist.  I find it annoying as it could have been done in nylon just as easy and get in the way less.   But minor flaw and I suspect Mtn H was trying to give some added wrist support by using the rubber strap.

Buy them on sale for around $80 is the best I have seen or retail at $100. Great glove for the intended use. I am impressed as a light weight, highly technical, cold weather leashless glove and it is a lot warmer than expected.





No comments: