Pageviews past week

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Working out and silly details.....

I suspect when the hit count and membership goes up most who write a blog at some point start thinking what they write actually is important.   Generally it is not.  But like much of what I do, this is for me anyway :)    So you are forwarned!

the man in the mirror

If the last 6 months taught me anything it is I want to be the water and not the rock.   And water is not my personality, never has been.  So it is a big change.   Days like today (when you are suffering) if nothing else gives you a more clear picture of yourself.  Why I ever go out on days I don't really feel like it, generally I'll never fully understand.  But today I knew.  There is a storm coming in tonight so I wanted to enjoy a tiny bit more sunshine.  But I didn't really enjoy the sunshine.  And the sun effected snow in the morning was well frozen shite by the time I headed home.  Marley really enjoyed the snow conditions so that was one bonus!  Me?  Not so much, in the breakable crust.  But it was my attitude not the snow conditions that sucked.  For the typical climber with an A personality it pays to remember that it is not the workout that makes you stronger, but the rest and recovery after the workout.

When I really want to climb I don't take a HR monitor.  But so much of my time outside is only training for something else more important to me.  Which can make some days "less than fun".   The HR monitor is generally my close companion.  One I am constantly conversing with and referring to.   If you are going to train, pays to heed the workout zone and the level of the effort for your desired effect.   You simply need to pay attention to the details. 

Zone 3

Zone 4

Zone 5

Speaking of details.   This the second time I have skied in a pair of Dynafit "Movement"  pants.



They came highly recommended but are hard to find as Dynafit imports so few to NA.   I bought what was available knowing they might be too large. (they are)   I first skied in them before cutting out the pre marked  buckle slots.  Nice pant but not all that impressive on the first run. After all they are not much more than a nice weight ski tight with a logo.

Previous to this trip I trimmed the premarked cut outs on the bottom of the legs.  I am most impressed with the end result.  The right pant really allows you to take advantage of the TLT boots in the back country.   Dynafit's "Movement" pant is the "right" pant for the TLT.  But easy enough to make your own as well.   Again it is all in the details.


ski mode



walking mode


Home sewn pant mod that does has the same effect


While I am thinking about clothing.  This one was a surprise and continues to impress me,  "Cabella's E.C.W.C.S Thermal Zone® Polartec® Power Dry® " long johns.  Cabellas' is not the first place I shop for gear.  But neither is Costco and both have surprised me in the past.  The E.C.W.C.S Thermal Zone® Polartec® Power Dry®  is a base layer made up of several different weights of Polartec materials that are smartly sewn.  In comparison to other long johns I have used they are warmer and a lot less bulky.  Which makes them much easier to move in and just as important stay dry in.  There is some really amazing technology and effort incorporated here.  I have one pair right now but will be buying more.  The bottoms are that much better than everything else I have used.  Ease of movement at the knee and no boot top bunch.  Too my surprise I noticed both improvments today when I went back to skiing in the typical long john bottom.    


E.C.W.C.S Thermal Zone® Polartec® Power Dry® top.
Nice mouth full ;) 


More detail stuff,  If you want to run a HR monitor or a tech watch and more importantly want to pay attention to them for some reason be sure to put them in the right place.  This one is buckled over my base layer and the other layers are blocked from covering the monitor.  Silly stuff, but just more details.


The details?  Do you have a foot problem?  Even just a tiny one?  Pays to remember them the night before and address it then.  Better than landing in the parking lot for what ever adventure you have in mind and forgetting there is a problem.  A two inch strip of tape can make the difference between a really fun day for me and enough additional pain to be really annoying.  Another small detail.

Doesn't matter if it is Water or Rock.  What you have seen here are some of my details.  Just a small reminder to pay attention to your own details.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What Polar model is this please? - couldn't find it on the Polar website.

Dane said...

Polar RS-200SD. Not the best for what I was using it for here. But I like Polar a lot. Others don't.

The Foot Pod isn't required so even a simple one will do for skiing. This one I have used in Tris and a lot while running.

Anonymous said...

You have the max heart rate of a fit 33 year old. How old are you???

Dane said...

ha, ha! My actual measured max HR is 192 (on my road bike in a lab). Running and sking it will be higher by a few beats. 187 is just starting to get playfully painful on xc skis ;) The numbers mean little really. Everyone is different.

So how old does the 194 MHR show on your scale?

Nice upper for today, thanks!

Dane said...

I had to look it up myself.
http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/heartrate.htm#

Says I should be 26 years old with a MHR of 194. So not very accurate.

Same here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083

The actual number isn't important. It is what you are actually capable of that is. That number (MHR) is sport specific and you really have to test for it to be accurate.

My MHR taken on a quick solo on the west butt of Denali from 11K up while in my 30s was 220+. Knowing so little about the subject of HR training/hydration at the time I was a little worry that I had over done it :) Which I had but it had nothing to do with my MHR. Took me a week to recover because of poor hydration and nutrition.

Anonymous said...

Dane -

That's pretty inspiring considering what your body's been through in the last six months.

I'm 40 and considered pretty active by most. My max measured HR is also 192. You're the man!

Ryan

Dane said...

Thanks Ryan, but it is just genetics. My resting HR on the other hand is (was) 42. Having it above 60 36 hrs after a big effort is what caught the cancer.

Freaked the nurses out though when I was in the mid 50s during most of my treatment. I was hitting 42 one moring early on which sent everyone in the ward rushing around :) Always good for a laugh to fook with the HR monitor at the hospital!

It is just been this week I am finally back into the mid 50s as a RHR. So I still have a huge amount of base work to do before I can call myself fit again.

As I said, they are just numbers. You really can't compare yours to anyone else in a meaningful fashion.

Dane said...

Just shared this discussion with my buddy Dave who did his first road bike ride with me last Sunday. And his first use of a HR monitor. He is 44 and had a max HR on our ride of 192. So he can tell Denise he has the body of a 28year old! She already knows he is a stud ;)

But with that result I'd bet his real MHR is past 200. As I said they are just numbers.