Pageviews past week

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

The cold world of skimo & alpine climbing

Thursday, May 26, 2016

How far in fruit boots?


IIRC it was the winter of  2006-7 (?), that I remember John Freeman telling me he had soloed Polar Circus wearing fruit boots and using Nomics.   Nomic's were may be a year old at the time. Common now anywhere there is ice,  but at the  time Nomic's alone were pretty radical ice tools.   Fruit boots?  Sweet but usually pretty dang cold.  Warm day on Polar Circus?  It all seemed to make  "some sense".  When John was telling me the story it had been a while since I had been on steep ice and either way I was impressed with the choice of gear and the climb. 

This John Freeman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQByrChFhZQ

I like the films linked below and Ueli's choice in gear.  Which likely has some to do with his head as well.....but not much :)

Now we see Nomics on anything from Alpine ice to steep water ice or really hard M climbing.  Fruit boots?  Some of the best mountain boots are now better/lighter/warmer than most of the original fruit boots.  Telling for me that the Nomic is still "state of the art".


If that doesn't get you stoked try this......
Some nice visuals!


No comments: